Monday, December 16, 2019

Today, I lost a friend.


Today, I lost my friend, Paul Tringoson. Despite valiant efforts by the doctors, nurses, and staff of St. Joseph Hospital in Nashua to help him recover during these last two weeks, Paul died peacefully this morning in hospice.

Paul was my mentor when I was a new teacher, just out of college. He shared his love of music, art, history, food, gardens, and travel with me--and later my wife and children. He was always exchanging clippings of his plants for ours, delicate china pieces from his collection, and little tidbits of wisdom gleaned from decades of world travel. Paul was in my wedding party, took my kids to museums when they were still in strollers, and celebrated many of their birthdays at my house.

In my last conversation with him a week ago, I had a chance to tell him how much how I appreciated all that he had done for me over the years. Since Paul thought my kids were exceptional and that my wife was a saint (and I don't disagree) I was happy to update him on their successes and to pass along how much they enjoyed his company over the years.

Paul was a teacher's teacher. Everything for him was about exploration, learning, experiencing, sharing, and then helping others do the same. Some of my teaching practice today is what he taught me and modeled so effectively.

As we enter the holiday season, it's time for reflection and renewal and for celebration and giving thanks. So many of us owe huge debts to parents, mentors, coaches, clergy, grandparents, and others in our circle who gave of themselves to help us be better people. And they did it out of their spirit of love and caring for us. So, tell someone that helped you be you how much you appreciate what they've done for you. Someday, it will be too late to tell them in person, so don't wait.

Thank you, Paul. Peace.

No comments: